Offshore Platform Security
Offshore oil and gas rigs require a high level of security thanks to the volatile environment with which they are in and can be a preferred target to criminal or terrorist activity due to their economic importance and placement in open, exposed areas on water or land. Because of this, securing these sites often present difficult security challenges but making sure they are protected both from outside threats and carrying out safe operations remain the most important goal for operators.
Challenges specific to Gas and Oil Rigs include:
- Miles of open water to secure
- Exposure to harsh, wet, sea conditions
- Continual 365 days, 24/7 day and night operation
- Imperative to have a passive, undetectable system
- Detection and tracking of every boat undetectable by radars including RHIBs
- Detection and tracking of approaching swimmers
- Detection of small boats in rough seas
- Remote installation
The Spynel panoramic infrared security system uses a continuously rotating head to produce 360-degree images and detect and track intrusions in real time, making them an ideal solution for oil and gas rigs’ security and surveillance needs. Thanks to their mid or long wave infrared sensors within, Spynel can detect a small boat, even a wooden boat, up to the horizon in total darkness and inclement weather including fog and rain.